Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rambling on College

I'm in highschool now, and I actually have to start thinking about what I'm going to be doing when I grow up.
I have to figure out my strengths and weaknesses. This phenomenon is really weird. Anyone my age or older can attest to this, I am sure.
You see, I do not have the slightest clue of "what I'm going to do." I don't have to "figure it out" for awhile yet, but still.


Whatever I do, I am going to do something with art and something with writing. I've been blessed with some talent there.

I have already had a discussion or two on college. It is quite interesting and entertaining to hear the different views on college.
For some people, college is a time to better yourself through education.
My dad takes a different view. It is so practical it is almost ultiliarion. College is a time to get a degree in order to get a job. Of course, it is an excellent experience, too, but face it-- those who chalk up bucketloads of money to get a poorly-paid job do get alot of debt.
My mom takes the middle road, which is the road I'm leaning towards. College is "higher education" and it also gives you tools for a good job. And you don't want to go to a school which you can't afford. Too much debt is just not good.

Perhaps it is because my parents are both engineers, but they seem clueless when it comes to college ideas for me. Engineering, like all the maths and sciences, it pretty much a done deal. If you are able to survive college and get a degree, you will get a job in your particular specialty. A mechanical engineer only works in the numerous mechanical engineering options, for example. A chemist will only do chemistry.

But the liberal arts are a more "give and take." English majors do everything from teaching, writing, running businesses, secretarial jobs, and many random things. It depends on who you know and what you can do. This is a stumbling block for my parents. Witness a recurring discussion:

Me: What does an English major do?
Mom/Dad: Teach English and write books.

Me: What sorts of things can you do if you study literaure?
Mom/Dad: Teach literature and write books.

Me: What can someone do if they study history?
Mom/Dad: Teach history and write books.

"Teach it and write books" is the answer to everything from English to theology. Art is the only exception-- you do actually have to draw in order to study art. :)

Therein lies my problem. While I sometimes enjoy math, and I sometimes love science, and I certainly am not terrible at either, I am definately a liberal arts person. I am logical and creative (sometimes)-- both left and right brained. But a live of math? *shivers*

Do you see my problem? The very things my parents don't know much about are the very things I am interested in. Art, English, theology, literature, history...

I've thought of several ideas. Here are my top ones:

-Artist   (if I can get famous enough to be simply an artist!)
-Graphics designer   (advertising, book/magazine/textbook layout, etc.)
-Ilustrator
-Author
-Going into publishing   (anything from editing to some of my aforementioned ideas)
-Teacher
-Lawyer   (yeah, I know. Ten years of law school or something like that)

Here are some other ideas that I love, but due to a lack of knowledge/experience, probably won't consider as much as my other ideas:

-Acting
-Film   (yes, cameras! Set design! Costuming! Directing would be great-- bossing people around all day and doing something epic with it!)
-Animation   (dream job with this: PIXAR. Alas, I have no experience. But I like computers, creativity, and logic. Sounds okay, right?)
-Many, many others...

Some things I once wanted to do, years ago, but am not seriously considering:

-Work at Lego and build for a living
-Architect
-Spy/CIA/FBI
-Running a fantasy-themed hotel


So much for that. :) I'm sure I'll come up with more. :)

To add another complication-- one that is far more important-- would be my vocation. I am starting to realize the beauty and greatness of both the religious life and marriage. At times, I feel pulled towards one, at times, to another. I suppose God will let me know in His own good time.

But in the meantime, as I start to think about careers and such, I'm realizing how much this will factor into my decsions. If I am called to religious life, I would probably not be able to be a lawyer or work in film. Teaching would be higher on my list. If that is my calling, I would want to work with people. You know, missionary sorts of stuff, though not nessesarily in the remote parts of the world.

Then again, if I were called to marriage, I would have other things to think about... would I want a full blown career, that would take extra years/a more expensive college, or would I want to be a stay at home mom and homeschool, like my mom does? etc.

I'm getting way ahead of myself. I am also freaking myself out a bit. :)

For now, the best thing to do is to simply be the best daughter and student I can. And believe me, that's hard enough on its own. :) Hopefully, in three years time I will have a much better idea of what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails