Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympics




The Olympics are here again! In Vancouver. I sadly had to miss out on the opening ceremonies and I have not been able to remain glued to the television because of school. But I do find the Olympics quite fascinating. :) I like the summer Olympics better, though, because I am familiar with those sports. And imagine my glee when I discovered that the new volleyball rotations we were learning were the same used by Team USA. But that was awhile ago. Now its time for the Winter Olympics!

Figure-skating is, of course, my favorite. The fluidity of the movements... Its like ballet. Of course, there are a few strange costumes and weird moves... But there are also unique approaches, such as this German pair who took an interesting theatrical approach to their short program, skating to "Send in the Clowns" and dressed in corresponding costumes. Video here. I plan on pulling out my sketchbook tonight during single's skate...

On a random note, I absolutely love the graphics/color scheme for these Olympics. My favorite shades of my favorite colors.

On another random note, any of you who have iPod touches/iPhones should download the free NBC Vancouver Olympics app. Very nice for updates and watching recap videos.

I thought I was unfamiliar with these winter sports (the closet I've ever come to doing them is a snowboard-like thing we use when it snows). But I had no idea. Many of these sports I have barely heard of! Such as one that looks suspiciously like shuffleboard on ice. With a bit of Bocce Ball thrown in. Apparently it has a name, curling, and is famous enough to get in the Olypmics.

Curling
 A U.S. speedskater who was in a previous Olympics entered the convent. I like the random links that Father Veit puts up on facebook. :) Here is the article.

I don't know about you, but I think the 2010 mascots are funny. :) I think they are based on Canadian mythology.


Another random thing: Lent begins tomorrow, and Ash Wednesday is a day of fast. I wonder if the Catholic Olympians still have to fast? I bet it would affect their performance, so maybe they get permission not to? Anyway, that was a random question that Mom didn't know the answer to.

Mom said the Olympics used to be an entirely amateur thing; no one who got paid to do their sport could compete. I found that interesting. :)

I like to notice the little details-- such as the extremely wavy design of the medals this year. I found this website that has pictures of every Olympic medal ever made, except for this year's, here. Apparently this year's are made up with some recycled materials. ::P I really liked the second medal concept, here. Too bad it couldn't work out!



Enjoy the Olympics, everyone! Even if your family, like mine, is not a huge sports fan and has no clue what is going on, its still fun. :)
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, thank you for posting that video! I loved it, and that's a gorgeous version of "Send in the Clowns". The first-place winners were awesome too. Figure skating is amazing...I do ballet and I've ice skated and I've NO idea how they combine the two like that! Ahhh, it's incredible...

    I really miss watching the Olympics - we don't have a converter box downstairs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figure skating is my favorite, too! The rest of my family isn't too fond of it, but I think it's simply fascinating!

    And, how did you not know about curling??? It's one of the best Winter Olympic sports ever!! ;)
    Hehehe we all love watching curling here. It's just interesting how something like that can actually be a competitive "sport"! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blance Rose, you can watch most everything from the Olymics on NBC's olymic website. Takes a bit to navigate it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails