Friday, February 26, 2010

Harry Potter?

I am working on a research paper with quite the interesting subject: Can Christians read Harry Potter?

I know many people who are ardently against the books, but almost any argument I have heard from them is actually one of ignorance, as they have not read the books themselves. There are a few who have read the books and come to... interesting conclusions, while making at least three false assumptions that these conclusions are based on. Sometimes they still get their facts mixed up.  Micheal O'Brien, who wrote some strong anti-HP articles, is one of these people.

I also know some people who read Harry Potter as if there was not the slightest thing wrong, as if everything were practically a doctrine.

Nu-uh to both. :)



I'm actually kind of enjoying this research paper. One book I found incredibly useful is The Mystery of Harry Potter: A Catholic Family Guide. Nancy Brown covers all the touchy subjects, shows the Christian worldview of the books, and comes to the conclusion that it can be good reading for those mature enough, but should be previewed by parents.

Regina Doman wrote a wonderful article on Harry Potter, that I would highly recommend reading. Its short enough that it won't take forever. :) You can find it HERE.

Regina Doman and Nancy Brown both wrote articles on the seventh book: HERE and HERE.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails